Thursday 15 April 2010

Veteran George beaten by just eight votes

VETERAN Henley councillor George Atkinson failed to regain a seat on Beaudesert and Henley Joint Parish Council after losing out by just eight votes to a resident of the town standing for the first time.

Cllr Atkinson (Cons), who has represented Henley at Warwickshire County Council in the past, currently represents Tanworth on Stratford District Council, where he is also portfolio holder for planning.

The Wootton Wawen resident was beaten by 99 votes to 91 in a contest against Henley resident of 34 years Sue Osborne, recommended by rebel councillor Bill Leech, at the by-election last Thursday 8th April.

The by-election took place amid the ongoing row reported above and caused controversy in itself on the grounds that it would cost the taxpayer £1,500. But supporters argued this was a small price to pay for local democracy and preferable to having someone 'appointed' to the council.

Businesswoman Cllr Osborne took up her post with the council after signing the Declaration of Office at Monday's parish council meeting when she also received an official welcome from the council and a round of applause from the public. One resident said: "Nobody expected her to do it but everybody's very pleased."

Cllr Osborne, an Independent, said she was elated to have won: "I never imagined I would. The council were all terribly welcoming and incredibly helpful. I don't know what I've let myself in for yet."

She thanked her supporters and said: "This is the first time in my life that I really wish that voting is not secret; nothing would give me more pleasure than finding everyone who voted for me, shaking you by the hand, and thanking you personally. As it is, I will just have to write a heartfelt thank you to one and all. And to those who gave me encouragement on their way out of the polling station, you really cannot have any idea how much that meant. It buoyed me up for hours in a very long day.

"I would also like to thank all those who helped me in so many ways to plan and achieve my election victory on 8th April. I will do everything I can to live up to your expectations."

A second by-election will take place on Thursday 27th May to replace Sheila Dalman, who resigned after the parish council meeting on 15th March saying she could not work with Cllr Leech who, she said, v/as working to the detriment of the council.

Stratford Herald - Thursday 15th April 2010   

No comments:

Post a Comment